Beagle dog eating fish

March is Poison Prevention Awareness Month. Knowing what is harmful to your pet is a great step towards being an excellent pet parent! No one ever wants experience their pet ingesting something poisonous. But if it does happen, call the poison prevention hotline at (888) 426-4435 and get them medical attention immediately.

A lot of people know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, but did you know that glow sticks and even lilies are poisonous? Those lovely poinsettias you see during the holidays are even harmful if your pet happens to eat one. Check out TruDog’s tips on what households items you should keep out of reach from your pet.

Always keep your medications, household cleaners, and lawn chemicals locked up as a safety precaution. Pets are just curious and some things may look like a tasty treat or give off a nice smell to them. While antifreeze is deadly to dogs, they think it tastes sweet. As a responsible pet parent it is your duty to research what foods are okay for your family member to have. There are plenty of fruits and veggies that dogs cannot digest like humans can.

Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry and keep things out of reach of your pets!