Fourth of July means fireworks, food and fun. All great for humans but not so good for our furry family members. In fact, statistics show that more dogs are lost over the 4th of July holiday than any other time of the year. The all day festivities that go into the night, the thunderous sounds of fireworks, and guests going in and out of a pet owner’s home during parties all contribute to make it a perfect storm for dogs to bolt from their homes.
What can you do to ensure your dog is safe?
- Make sure they’re wearing their ID tags and the information is up-to-date. And if you haven’t done so already, talk to your veterinarian about microchipping. That way if your pup does run off they can easily locate you as the owner.
- If you’re having guests over consider putting a note on doors leading outside to remind our friends to keep your pup inside.
- Leave your pet at home when you go to parties, fireworks displays, parades and other gatherings. All of that can be very frightening to dogs and you risk them becoming spooked and running away.
- Keep your pets inside if you or your neighbors are setting off fireworks.
- Remember that too much sun and heat can be dangerous to your dog. Keep them inside when it’s too hot and if they are outside make sure they have plenty of shade and water.
Probably the easiest way to keep your pup safe and happy over the holiday is with a staycation at a boarding facility. At Dogtopia of Arcadia our air conditioned, climate-controlled, supervised playrooms will keep your dog happily busy all day. Come nighttime they’ll be so tired from a day of fun with their BFFF’s (Best Furry Friends Forever) they’ll enjoy a night of restful sleep.
Looking for a safe and happy place for your pup to spend the Fourth of July holiday? Call us at Dogtopia of Arcadia. If you haven’t been in before we’ll have you in for a Meet & Greet with your dog to determine if they’re comfortable in our open play environment. But don’t wait. We encourage pet parents to book a holiday stay as soon as possible since spots fill up fast.
We look forward to showing you why we call it The Most Exciting Day Ever.