Homemade gifts are making a comeback this holiday! Whether you treat your own pup or a loved one’s dog, these homemade treats are easy to make and only need 3 ingredients: oats, peanut butter, and bananas. Follow the recipe below to make a batch of delicious treats that you and your dog can eat!
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 large ripe banana (you can use overripe or brown bananas!)
- ½ cup peanut butter (avoid peanut butters with xylitol)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Check your oven for stored pans before you turn the oven on!
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a blender or clean coffee grinder, grind oats into a fine flour. Set aside for later.
- In a mixing bowl, smash the banana then mix in peanut butter. Add your freshly made oat flour and smash into the mixture with a fork until it is thick and well-combined. If the dough is falling apart, add a couple teaspoons of peanut butter until the dough is firm and sticky.
- Shape and roll the dough into a thin slab about ¼ inch thick. Use a cookie cutter (highly recommend a bone-shaped one!) to cut for baking. You can also use a tablespoon to roll into balls for traditional circular cookies. Place dough on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cookie is lightly brown on the bottom. Allow to cookies to cool and firm up before serving.
Storage: Store in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or 1 week at room temperature.
To gift to others, you can present your freshly baked treats in recycled glass jars or mason jars. Use a piece of cardstock and a ribbon to make a cute and personal gift tag. We think a jar of homemade treats would make a great gift for any dog or dog person!
Our staff at Dogtopia wish you and your loved ones a happy holiday season!