Meet and Greet
While we strongly believe that there is no such thing as a bad breed or a bad dog, not every dog is suited to open play. We take our canine guests’ safety very seriously, so every dog must pass a thorough meet and greet to ensure that they are a good fit for daycare.
The meet and greet is conducted on-site by one of our trained professionals and includes the following steps:
- It begins with an overview of paperwork, history and health with the pet parent.
- Once complete, the dog joins our team member in an evaluation room to observe how they react when away from their parent.
- During the evaluation we conduct a snout to tail assessment to identify sensitivities in touch that the dog may have. If a dog is sensitive to touch in one area this is not necessarily an issue, but it is important for their comfort that our team is aware of any sensitivities.
- We then begin bringing additional dogs into the controlled mini play area one at a time to assess the comfort level of the dog. Our team member observes how the dog interacts with the other canines to assess their suitability for an open play environment.
- Our team member will meet with the parent to share what they learned. If for some reason the dog is not yet ready for open play, we will recommend steps the parent can take to help address the observed issue(s). Any dog that fails is always welcome to come back for a follow-up evaluation after any issues have been addressed. Any dog that does not pass is encouraged to return for a follow up meeting after issues have been addressed six months later.
Who Can Stay With Us?
We do not turn away dogs based on breed. To ensure the safety of all our guests, we require all dogs staying with us for daycare or overnight boarding to meet the following criteria:
- Dogs must first undergo a meet and greet with our Dogtopia team
- Dogs must be over 3 months old
- Dogs must be spayed or neutered if over 7 months old
- Current on required vaccines: rabies, DHPP, and bordetella
- Free of any communicable diseases for 30 days
- Free of fleas and ticks