Healthy Treats Your Pup Will Be Begging For
Our pups deserve the best to keep their bodies healthy! Although we know every dog would enjoy table scraps as their favorite snack, it is important to reward them with nutritious and healthy treats to keep their minds sharp and muscles strong. The list below includes some of our favorite healthy treat swaps as well as a couple of easy-to-make recipes your pup is sure to love!
Healthy treat swap ideas:
- Apples – Apples are a great source of fiber and nutrients. If you want to give your dog an apple, please be sure to remove the core and all seeds.
- Blueberries and Strawberries – Both fruits are high in vitamin C! Strawberries contain a high amount of sugar, so please consider the amount you feed your dog.
- Watermelon – Watermelon is tasty and hydrating for dogs. Like apples, remove all seeds before allowing your dog to enjoy!
- Bananas – Bananas are full of nutrients and dogs love their flavor, but like strawberries, bananas contain a lot of sugar and should be enjoyed by your dog in moderation.
- Green Beans – Green beans provide your dog with greens and fiber. Dogs enjoy these raw, or cooked. If you decide to give your dog cooked green beans, please do not cook with any seasonings. These may upset your dog’s stomach.
- Broccoli – This veggie is packed with health benefits for pups such as fiber, vitamin C and is low in fat. Although cooking veggies such as broccoli may be easier on a dog’s stomach when cooked, it can be enjoyed raw or cooked.
In the mood to bake something special for your dog? Here’s a peanut butter recipe dogs will love:
These dog treats are simple to make and are made with healthy ingredients you can find at your local grocery store.
- 1 cup of whole wheat flower
- ½ cup of creamy peanut butter
- Use a natural peanut butter containing no xylitol which is incredibly toxic to dogs.
- ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana
- ¼ cup of vegetable, chicken, or beef stock broth
- Optional: dog bone shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Combine your flour, natural peanut butter, and unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana into a mixing bowl. Add in the stock of your choosing and mix until combined thoroughly. Your dough will be thick. Once fully combined, press the mixture into a ball.
- Place your ball of dough on a flat surface and use a rolling pin to flatten until the dough is about a quarter inch thick. Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut the dough into shapes and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. As a note, larger treats may need more time.
- Have extra treats? Store in an airtight container to maintain freshness.
Your dog will be running to the kitchen for these homemade treats! As a reminder, please consult with your veterinarian with any dietary-related questions. Not all dogs can process the same foods and it is best to seek professional advice to keep your dog healthy.