Summer is here, and there’s nothing like spending time outdoors with your furry friend. Whether it’s a day at the park or a long hike, it’s always a good idea to pack a picnic for you and your pup to enjoy together. We’ve come up with some delicious dog-friendly and human snacks that you can enjoy together and paired them with great wines you can get from Naked Wines to make your picnic even more enjoyable.
FOOD FOR YOUR PUP
For your furry friends, we recommend packing some dog-friendly treats like carrots, green beans, and even some sliced apples. These fruits and veggies are not only nutritious, but they’re also great for keeping your dog’s teeth clean. If you want to include some protein, you can try some boiled chicken or grilled beef. Just make sure to cut them into bite-sized pieces and remove any bones or fat.
FOOD (AND WINE!) FOR YOU
For the humans, we’ve compiled three meal ideas, each paired with a wine that will enhance the flavors of your food and make for a truly delightful picnic experience:
- Grilled Chicken Skewers with Veggies: Grilled chicken and veggies are a classic summer staple, and they’re a great option for your pup, too. Simply grill up some boneless chicken breasts and skewer them with some fresh veggies like zucchini, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes. For the humans, we suggest serving them with some fresh tzatziki sauce and pita bread. This meal pairs perfectly with a chilled glass of 2021 Miriam California Riesling. This wine’s citrus and white fruit notes complement the light and fresh flavors of the chicken and veggies, making it a refreshing pairing for a warm summer day.
- Turkey Bacon Avocado Sandwich: For a heartier option, try a turkey, avocado, and bacon sandwich, which is packed with protein and healthy fats. Simply layer some sliced turkey, avocado, bacon, and tomato on a bun of your choice, and add a dollop of chipotle mayo or mustard for some extra flavor. Pair this sandwich with a glass of 2019 Richard Bruno Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. The wine’s bold fruit flavors and oak complement the savory flavors of the sandwich, making for a delicious pairing.
- Grilled Salmon & Asparagus: For a lighter, seafood-based option, try grilled salmon and asparagus. Simply grill some fresh salmon fillets and asparagus spears and serve with a side of brown rice or quinoa. We suggest also topping the salmon with a squeeze of lemon juice and some fresh herbs like dill or parsley. This meal pairs well with a chilled glass of 2022 Rod Easthope Reserve Hawkes Bay Sauvignon Blanc. The wine’s fruit flavors and crisp acidity complement the rich flavors of the salmon and asparagus, making for a beautifully balanced pairing.
Even better: Now through Dec. 31, 2023, new Naked Wines customers can not only get $100 off your first order of $160 or more, but Naked Wines will provide a $45 donation to the Dogtopia Foundation with your order, as well! Click here to get the deal.
PUP PICNIC ETIQUETTE
While you’re enjoying your picnic, it’s a great time to help your dog socialize with other pups you may encounter. Canine socialization is an important part of a dog’s development, and by practicing dog introduction etiquette during your picnic, you’re helping your dog develop the skills they need to be a well-rounded canine citizen. Here are some signs that the initial introduction is going well:
- The dogs’ bodies are relaxed.
- Their tails might be moving and have a flexible look.
- Their ears are perked up and not pulled back.
- Their mouths are not tense or snarling.
And for those times you can’t be there for your pup, doggie daycare is a great alternative to provide a safe and structured environment for your dog to play and interact with other dogs. Find a Dogtopia daycare near you to help your pup with socialization; they might just even find their new BFFF (Best Furry Friend Forever)!