The Dos and Don’ts of Thanksgiving Food for Your Dog
It’s the most wonderful – and thankful – time of the year! Whether you’re celebrating with friends or family (with two legs or four!), Thanksgiving is a special holiday to reconnect, celebrate, and enjoy a delicious meal together. Your dog may want in on the festivities, too!
Confused if your dog can have a nibble of what you are preparing for your family for the big Thanksgiving feast? Refer to the list below to see what your pup can and cannot enjoy:
Thanksgiving Food Approved for Your Pup
- Stick to white meat and avoid fatty skin, areas of excessive fat, and seasoned areas.
- Be watchful for pieces of twine used to tie up the turkey.
- Plain potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Apples (without any seeds)
- Plain pumpkin
- Plain peas
- Green beans
- Cheese (in moderation)
- Cranberries in moderation are fine and are not toxic for pups. You can run into trouble if cranberries are mixed with raisins or a cranberry sauce is made with lots of sugar, grape juice or alcohol. Please use caution.
- Turkey skin
- Turkey bones
- Turkey stuffing
- Turkey gravy
- Candy and gum
- Mashed potatoes
- Sweet potatoes with added ingredients
- Pumpkin pie
- Grapes or raisins
Create an Environment Comfortable for Your Pup
Although we love the holiday season and family gatherings, sometimes it may cause your dog to feel stress and anxiety. Here are some tips to make your dog feel involved, safe, and calm during the Thanksgiving holiday.
Your dog may have a difficult time finding their place and remaining calm with so many unfamiliar faces in their home. If your dog is showing signs of stress or anxiety, create a comfortable space for them away from the noises and crowds. Be sure to include a comfy resting place such as your dog’s favorite pillow or blanket and place food and water in a nearby location. Regularly check on your pup to make sure they remain calm.
If you know your dog will be anxious and stressed with a group of people in your home, they may benefit from a night of boarding at Dogtopia! Your pup will have a comfortable night of rest under the watchful eye of our caring team.
Find a Dogtopia near you by clicking here.