The short answer is: yes, they can! If there are potty pads all over the house then it is easy to confuse potty pads with other soft surfaces like carpet.
If you want or need to use potty pads:
- Place them in one location of the house. This location should stay static over time and not move around the house.
- If possible, the potty pad should be on wood/tile and not on carpet. A pee pad on carpet can be confusing.
- Where does the carpet end and the pee pad begin?
- Put the pee pad in a pee pad holder or kitty litter pan.
- You can also use something else like fake grass or dog litter as an alternative.